Start your day right by drinking lemon water
(Natural News) Most people start their day with a good old cup of joe to give them the energy to get through the day. But why not try something new and go for a glass of lemon water instead?
Lemon water is very easy to make. All of you have to do is slice up some lemons, put them in a pitcher of water, and let it sit in the fridge for some time to ensure that the nutrients are extracted from the fruit. You can make this right before going to bed so you can enjoy a glass of healthy lemon water upon waking up. Some of the benefits that you can enjoy from drinking lemon water include the following:
- Hydrating the body — Chronic dehydration is a problem that nearly 75 percent of Americans face. This is very alarming since dehydration has been associated with complications like kidney stone formation, high blood pressure, urinary tract infections, intestinal failure, and dementia. If you find it hard to drink water, then add some lemon slices to your drink to make it tastier and more enjoyable.
- Promoting good digestion — Drinking a glass of lemon water upon waking up ensures that your digestive system functions properly throughout the day. There are different ways by which lemon water achieves this. One of these is by promoting an alkaline pH in the body through its acidic nature, which also helps in remedying stomach cramps and ulcers. This drink also aids in the breakdown of food so that the body can absorb more nutrients from them.
- Boosting the immune system — Lemons, like most citrus foods, are rich in vitamin C. This nutrient boosts the immune system by working against pathogens that cause diseases such as common colds or the flu.
- Providing potassium — Lemons are rich in potassium, which is an important mineral for maintaining overall health. Some of its functions include regulating fluid balance, ensuring that enough oxygen reaches the brain, inhibiting acids that interfere with calcium absorption, and maintaining healthy blood pressure.
- Improving breath — It’s normal to have bad breath upon waking up since bacteria were able to accumulate in your mouth, throat, and digestive tract while you were sleeping. Brushing alone is not enough to get rid of all these bacteria so you can also use natural antiseptics like lemons to help do the job. As you drink lemon water, make sure to swish it around so that it can also reach the crevices of your mouth.
- Fighting inflammation — Vitamin C in lemon water also aids in reducing inflammation and promotes healing. It works by enhancing the production of collagen, an essential protein component of the skin, blood vessels, connective tissues, and bones. Additionally, lemon water is rich in antioxidants that also reduce swelling and promote tissue repair.
- Encouraging weight loss — Although lemon water doesn’t directly cause weight loss, it does make it easier to shed a few pounds by suppressing appetite and stimulating metabolism. Moreover, lemon water can be a healthier replacement for juices and soda since it’s just as delicious, but it has fewer calories. You can even add some honey to your lemon water to improve its weight loss benefits. (Related: Lemon honey juice fasting may be useful for women trying to lose weight.)
- Reducing bloating — Hydration is important but too much water in the body can also be harmful since it can lead to bloating, weight gain, high blood pressure, and poor heart function. Drinking lemon water can help you get rid of excess water by increasing urine output.
Healthy infused water recipes
If you’re getting tired of lemon water, here are some other infused water recipes and the different benefits associated with them.
Mother Nature's micronutrient secret: Organic Broccoli Sprout Capsules now available, delivering 280mg of high-density nutrition, including the extraordinary "sulforaphane" and "glucosinolate" nutrients found only in cruciferous healing foods. Every lot laboratory tested. See availability here.
- Watermelon mint — This refreshing drink promotes proper digestion and improves cognitive functions.
- Orange ginger — The mixture of orange and ginger boosts immune function, aids in digestion, and reduces inflammation.
- Strawberry jalapeno — Strawberry and jalapeno might not seem like a good mix, but this sweet and spicy drink is great for your metabolism and for reducing oxidative stress.
For more articles about how you can improve your overall health, visit Health.news.