Here are proven ways to boost IQ in adults
(Natural News) Most parents will do everything to ensure that their child becomes intelligent, especially since it affords their child many opportunities later in life. One of the commonly used methods for measuring a person’s intelligence is through the intelligence quotient (IQ). Although IQ does not equate with overall intelligence, it is a good measure for a person’s knowledge, as well as their reasoning and problem-solving skills. Fortunately, people can continue to work on increasing their IQ even when they’re already adults.
There are many ways through which IQ can be increased in children; however, these may all be applicable for adults. The most common ways to increase IQ in adults include:
- Physical exercise – People who exercise can enjoy many benefits like improved blood flow to the brain, which allows it to get an adequate supply of oxygen, glucose, and other nutrients. Moreover, exercise also improves the brain’s ability to alter its structure and function. This property, which is known as neuroplasticity, has been associated with higher intelligence and larger brain volume. Based on a previous study, a 30-minute exercise session already has significant effects on brain plasticity.
- Brain training exercises — There are many brain exercises that can be done to improve IQ. One way is by using dual n-back, which increases working memory capacity. To get significant results, players are recommended to do this at least 20 minutes a day, five days a week. By doing so, they can significantly improve verbal fluency, reading comprehension, dream recall, concentration, and focus. Another brain exercise that people can try is chess, which also improves working memory and increases concentration. Playing chess also enhances problem-solving skills and cognitive function for both sides of the brain.
- Constant education — People who are constantly learning tend to have higher IQs because they are regularly exposed to new information. Studies have shown that people can gain at least 3.5 IQ points for each school year completed. Those who have finished school can still improve their IQ by taking part in new experiences and seeking new information. Some activities that have been associated with higher IQ include music training and art lessons.
- Mentally challenging career — Based on a six-year study involving 250 middle-aged participants, it was determined that those who were in mentally challenging careers had better results on cognitive tests. This can be attributed to their daily encounters with complex relationships and systems, as well as difficult problems. Mentally challenging careers include being a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or architect.
- Meditation — Meditating improves the different brain functions, such as learning, memory, and problem-solving. One specific meditation technique known as brainwave training or neurofeedback enables the person to control their own brainwave activity, as well as heart rate. Doing this can effectively increase IQ by 23 percent. Furthermore, brainwave training also has potential use as a treatment for mental disorders like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, schizophrenia, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder. A previous study has shown that patients with attention deficit disorder enjoyed a 12-point increase in IQ after participating in two neurofeedback sessions per week.
- Changes in diet — The brain needs to be powered with healthy unprocessed foods for it to be at its best condition. Superior brain foods include berries, walnuts, avocado, eggs, dark chocolate, turmeric, and cold water fish. Eating unprocessed foods boosts IQ by at least 14 percent.
- Fish oil supplements — Although there are many supplements that are beneficial for brain health, only fish oil is effective in humans. In a previous study, it was shown that fish oil increases IQ by at least six points while not taking it reduces IQ by five points.
Mother Nature's micronutrient secret: Organic Broccoli Sprout Capsules now available, delivering 280mg of high-density nutrition, including the extraordinary "sulforaphane" and "glucosinolate" nutrients found only in cruciferous healing foods. Every lot laboratory tested. See availability here.
Higher IQ levels can be achieved by everyone not just during childhood but also in adulthood since the brain has so much hidden potential. By following these methods, people can easily unlock this potential and become more intelligent than they are now. (Related: Disturbing study finds that humans are getting progressively dumber – IQ points now dropping by 7 points with each new generation.)